Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The First Step

So this one is about being courageous and confident and taking that FIRST STEP which can break any wall or even ice! 

My last week, actually last month has been all about this.

~ finally credited Zainab for inspiring me to write more. (I was skeptical about writing on this 'coz i thought that may constitute to me giving importance to her and after college we havent been in good touch. But she is a darling and i couldn't kept myself from this)

~i wrote about her too, which i had been postponing again due to the above reason but i did it anyway in the previous post and she realized it was her out of nowhere. I had not even thought what would i do, say if she reads but then it all fell into place and for all the good reasons (or so i suppose!)

~started tweeting. earlier i found the idea of tweets extremely useless and rather annoying. for one thing, i never knew what to 'tweet'. i did not want to post annoying tweets like i found few of my friends do. But one fine day in office, i just let go of all inhibitions and went on to explore! and i am enjoying and how! its extremely resourceful and flooded with amazing, interesting people from whom u can learn so much if u will.

~i have stopped reacting to nonsense and in fact, learned to ignore it all together. I used to be so affected by people but now, i guess, its draining off from me. hope i continue like this FOREVER
.

~i went ahead and told my friend ketan, who is in the US, that i miss him and had a superbly heart warming conversation. earlier, i used to hold back myself coz i always assumed he has moved on (friendship wise! ) or 'drifted apart' as he once put and i did not want to look stupid sharing my nostalgia and feelings with him. (BUT what is so wrong in looking stupid. there is a difference between 'looking' stupid and 'acting' stupid. Looking stupid is more subjective i guess. new blog topic!)

~I have started commenting on blogs and news articles. Again, the reason for not doing it in the past was this constantly poking-torturous feeling of being imperfect and being judged mediocre (and how bad can that really be!? i so overact to things!). I began sending out my opinions and ideas to the world just last week and i feel good and in a strange way, liberated.

~My travel from home to work and back takes a total of 3 hours i.e. 1.5 hours one way. Since, while on my way back, i easily get a seat in the train, I have started sharing it with other travelers who stand. Say, after after about 45-50 mins of sitting, i give my away my seat. Earlier, i avoided doing this coz no one ever offered me their seat. i used to clamber and balance, jerk and stretch but none of the sitting members bothered. But then I decided to go with my heart and trust me, its one of the most effective ways to make someone happy. I hope the goodness spreads!

~I talk to my father about a lot of everyday stuff. Before i never bothered to let him know about my life. If he asked, he got the answers but i never volunteered. Then, i read 'Tuesdays with Morrie' and something in me changed for good. Now, even if he does not ask me, i tell me coz i want him to know and i want to know him more.

So, these are the different areas where i had been contemplating taking the first step but i never did coz i did not want to look stupid. I never wanted to show that i care, that i feel, that i have a heart coz i did not want to feel/be vulnerable.

I am not a person who does not express, who believes that there are some unsaid things in the world. I believe in the power of expression and like i have said before, in the power of love.

This way of living also let you know who, among your people, are genuinely concerned, truly care and absolutely love. speaking from experience here!

Moral of the story: About whatever it is, you are contemplating making the first move. Just do it. It will help you become a better person. Most definitely.

2 comments:

RB said...

Kudos for all these firsts!

Inhibitions are the worst enemies, and getting over them is truly the most liberating feeling in the world.
People might not read your opinions today, but tomorrow they might just become topics of discussion. Nobody might follow suit in giving up on a seat in the train today, but who knows, AKMs of tomorrow might want to make a documentary on it one day! :P

Namrata said...

yups...agree! u neva wat happens!