Wednesday, August 11, 2010

I changed the boat in the middle of the sea

Its high time I write about what i do workwise or rather what i want to do. I am currently working in a PR agency in Mumbai.

Now, for people who know me but are not updated of my latest career shift, this might come as a bit of a surprise. For, my friends and classmates always saw a fiery, passionate journalist in me. Not their fault. After all, in my bachelors and masters course, i did specialize in journalism and left no stone unturned to give them that impression.

In my college classrooms, particularly in my graduate school, I always had very serious questions bearing significance to the society at large. And i was truly concerned. I wanted to change the world. My blood boiled each time i witnessed violation of law in public space, abuse of power and disregard for the people of my country. There were other professions like IAS, politics, law  which i could have adopted to pursue my change-the-world mission but i chose journalism. My reason was i loved writing. Journalism, for me, was a marriage between my two passions.

So, i studied the subject and heard and observed and pitched and interviewed and wrote and got published. In 5 years, i have finished 6 internships in print media industry. And then i was suddenly off it.

However, fresh out of post grad college, I still took up a job (coz I did not know what i wanted to do if not journalism and so i thought of at least starting work and figuring out what i wanted to do) as a trainee corresponent in one of the most prestigious news magazine in India. I was there exactly for three weeks and then i resigned. Why? Because although the profile was exactly what i was looking for, the work environment was pathetic. Now, when i look back at it, I cannot imagine myself then. crying, cribbing, cursing, complaining. I could not feel the blood in my veins. Could not feel my heart beat and my mind think. And i am not exaggerating any of this.

One fine morning i went up to the boss and blurted all of the above. She was willing to change, to make accomodations for my comfort but something in me strongly rejected the proposition. I just did not want to stay any longer. So, without a job in hand, I walked out.And man!!! did i feel good or what! What a sense of liberation! of ownership of myself! what revelry! and what happiness!

I gave a shit about the huge brand i was walking over, of whatever people said and i was happy. Here i must mention, that these 3 weeks were the toughest not only for me but also for my family and closest friends.

I was at home now, back to job hunting and this required me to be on the internet 24x7. And then social media came! Wouldnt be wrong it say that it was love at first encounter for me! I loved the idea of social media marketing. The fact that it had the power to allow me, as a brand, to talk to my real customers excited me. I sensed a huge potential and started my research. Ketan, my friend in US studying marketing and currently interning with a social media firm helped me further by recommending websites like mashable, tech crunch etc. He educated me on the social media scene in US and its inevitable growth in India.

I reached out to my PR and advertising friends from Symbi requesting them to share their resources-ppts, books etc as digital marketing was a module for them. I would like be honest here and confess that i did regret for a brief time that i did not come across this before. I would have opted for PR or advertising but its better late than never. I decided only to focus ahead from hereon.

I read extensively on SM (social media), absorbed information and began activities on my twitter, facebook and blog. Currently, I am working with Ketan on our own something on SM! I cant wait to get started on it!

rewind to 2 months back, I was finding it very difficult to find an SM profile for me - with no experience, no internships, no academic backing on the subject but only words to convey my passion and love for the field. It was not enough. While some needed an MBA degree, some needed work experience. It was not working out for me.
So, i went ahead with the PR profile offer i had and started work once again. I was careful this time to study my boss (at the interview), feel the vibe of the place and have a look at my team I was satisfied and here began my journey on the other side of journalism-in a Public Relations agency. And i am enjoying!

Luckily, the current job gives me substantial time each day to update myself on SM happening and networking for it. I am reading more about it and 'lurking' on SNS to observe and learn how business is done here. And yes, my next destinaton most definitely is an SM job.

Does it feel weird then when i meet or talk to my journo friends? Initially it did. I could have been a journo being pursued by a PR person but here i was the PR convincing journalists. It felt weird and to an extent unfair but then it grew on me. I came to terms with the change, with my new career plans, with my goals and my life.

I am happy and I am proud of myself for being there for me, when i needed the most. I am glad i stood up for my passion and belief.

Changing the boat in the middle of the sea was sure risky but, i tell you, totally worth it! i'm loving it and how! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[color=#ff9900]Awesome post! thank you for sharing this information. wisdomwithwords.blogspot.com really got under my
[/color] [url=http://nuscin-online.info]skin,[/url] [color=#ff9900]bookmarked... Keep up the good site...[/color]

Namrata said...

hey, thank u! feedback is always so encouraging! :)