Saturday, July 3, 2010

my reading habits


I like books which explore human relationships. something which has some drama infused in a subtle way. a tale which attempts to uncover the human behaviour, something which rides me through the labyrinths of human emotions. a book that describes the most routine roles (like wife, father etc), conventionally designed, but wrapped with complex layers of desires and dreams, morals and duties, struggles and victories.

generally, such books end rather abruptly with you never knowing what happened later in his/her life. these stories usually take one major life event/incident as the plot with multiple side plots, which are never closed in the book. for example, a woman with a perfect family of a husband and three children, suddenly finds herself as a co-chair at a gala event. hereafter, this god-fearing, pious, sensitive soul starts off an extra marital affair followed by another brief period of longing for her ex-boyfriend. however, by the end of the book, this event is successful and her life is sorted.

now, what I would like to know is what happened when she encountered these two extra marital partners later in life? were there nights when she sat up and cried? did she ever contemplate telling her husband the truth or even suicide? how did she patch up with her best friend with whom she had fought? how did her kids grow up to be? did she have another affair?

i know it is impossible to contain the answers to all these or rather a lifetime in a fiction book but then these are the remnants after the story has evaporated. I, for one, can relate to such characters instantly and so i actually think of how his/her life would have progressed had it been a true story. moreover, the characters and the events in their lives are so routine and everyday (unlike something say a sci-fic novel) that it could be the story of your neighbour or even say your best friend. who knows!

yeah, maybe you'll say that perhaps i should read a biography or an autobiography as it contains the entire life of an individual. i say it lacks the much needed drama and emotional twist. somehow, it does not move me.

and for the kind of books i like, the stories are made up of the usual life stuff - childhood, parents, best friends, siblings, romance, marriage, kids, ex-s, job, emotions, dreams, achievements, failures, but then i enjoy these. so while the basic ingredients remain the same, each story is a different concoction. each of these stir me differently and ooze out different emotions. however, all of them, help me realize myself a little more, discover those sub conscience thoughts, unveil the consequences of my current actions in the future or present me with a clearer window to see the how and why of my past decisions. yes, and that means i think a lot!! even unnecessarily!

Some of the recent books i have enjoyed:

1) Connections - Sheila O'Flanagan
2) A Summer Affair - Elin Hilderbrand
3) Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
4) Committed - Elizabeth Gilbert
5) P S I Love You - Cecelia Ahern
6) Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen
7) Wish You Were Here - Cecelia Ahern
8) Letters to Sam - Gottlieb

this is me! :) the drama queen, as jen puts it! ;)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://hairtyson.com]buy Phen375[/url] are tablets that resist trim fuselage weight. Everybody of these tabs has to be enchanted with drinking-water, round 20 minutes ahead a repast, twice a day.