Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Like a heritage building being reinstalled

There are some lessons and some realizations you know you need in life but then you somehow always wait for it to catch you than embracing it the first time. Like how as a child we always did something repeatedly even when asked not to, and test mom's patience with it. But one day she loses it and holds your tightly by the shoulders and stares at you. It is discomforting but that is probably when you really understand something. That tight grip, that holding down, that strange sort of feeling, somewhat like passing through the furnace.

I feel that again, only this time it is life tightly gripping me, making me uncomfortable and trying to teach me a lesson that I have always refused to accept - that happiness is internal, that your best friend is you, that solitude can be beautiful, that trust is precious and should be wisely given to people, that patience is indispensable, that you can smile to yourself in the mirror, not to check how beautiful you are without but within, that not everyone deserves the best of you but there are a select few that always do, that success is not social but personal.

These are tough lessons. So many questions arise and the complicated answers to them give rise to more questions. Right now, I am caught up there. In this circle of questions and answers. I am not sure if I am to accept these lessons gracefully or critically but I realize I need to accept them anyways. 

I know one lesson that i have learnt - writing is a good way to become friends with yourself and this is the friend you will always need.