Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Jaleel and I - A Story of stories

His eyes were happy but mysterious; welcoming and embracing; and became small when he smiled. They lit up like the brightest star in the night sky.

He was the brightest star for me that cold winter night.

Jaleel was an IT consultant and I met him at a newly opened Moroccon restaurant in Illinois. The restaurant wasn't particularly striking with pale yellow walls patched with apparently cheap, bright paintings on one side and small wrought iron mirrors on the other. It was primarily a take-away joint and probably explains the placement of only four tables with four plastic chairs each. Brightly coloured clay pots were arranged at the counter, behind which Jaleel stood working on the bills.
Placed alongside in a basket were colorful, apparently traditional shoes. I felt a story in the room within a few minutes of settling down at the table. I couldn't instantly figure out the narrative though. I grew curious but Jaleel was busy as he was the only one welcoming people, taking orders, serving food, cleaning tables, writing bills, collecting money and all the while, maintaining a warm demeanor with his steady smile and happy eyes.

I ordered a vegetarian combo. The food arrived quickly and was delicious, however, I could not savor it. I was growing restless and impatient to talk to him. I could then hold the musical chords wildly tugging at me and make a melody. Jaleel seemed welcoming, he wouldn't mind I speculated. I continued to reason and strategies my approach while I worked on my food.

In the very next moment, I found myself turning around to him and complimenting the food. He responded with the most genuine 'thank you' ever! Hereon, Jaleel only continued to fascinate me.

He always wanted to start a restaurant and so a few months back, when a Chinese restaurant was shutting down, he instantly grabbed on the opportunity. Then there was born 'Taste of Morroco'. I had read good reviews on Yelp! about it and so I informed him. He said there were others who had told him too but he was yet to read them. I could tell from his eyes and voice and smile that it meant a lot to him.

During the day, his wife along with a helper cooked all the items on the menu and Jaleel took over its serving in the evening. He said it was a passion they both shared. I could sense the excitement. The narrative was building. And while he kept describing a few more details about their operations, I grew heavy with my thoughts (about them) and floated on to another level. Second job for an IT consultant? It clearly wasn't for financial reasons.It was passion and I admired it. After all, the courage to follow one's heart is rare. For often this pursuit is sacrificed for the sake of practicality.

He went into the kitchen and asked us if we would like some mint green tea. He said it was on house. We nodded excitedly. Along with the tea, he offered us a Morrocon dessert, similar to a bread pudding, only better.

His generosity was humbling. His story too.
I have been thinking of him since that evening. There is so much more that I wanted to ask. I feel there is something for me to learn from him. I will visit him again. Hopefully, I get to meet his wife this time too. I wish I knew her name.

--
I love stories. Stories of individuals-- of their passion, love, conflicts and achievements. Of their fears, diligence, loyalty, careers and relationships.
I wanted to become a journalist since I was fourteen but I didn't really know why.
I guess I do now.

No comments: